Notice: class-oembed.php is deprecated since version 5.3.0! Use wp-includes/class-wp-oembed.php instead. in /var/www/vhosts/w.4728.platform.net.nz/gilldental.co.nz/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4786
Crowns and Bridges
Crowns are used to restore and strengthen severely decayed or broken teeth. They are attached either to your original tooth, or to a dental implant which is inserted into the jaw, and are made from metal, porcelain or ceramic. When they are fitted, they look as natural as possible maintaining it’s overall anatomical shape.
Our dental practice places porcelain,zirconia and composite crowns routinely, as they not only maintain the function of your teeth but are extremely natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing. We also place bridges to restore gaps in the dentition often caused by one or more missing teeth.
A more long-term treatment option
By replacing a damaged or weak tooth with a Crown, the structure of the tooth can be preserved. Depending on the severity of the damage to your tooth, a Crown may be recommended if other alternatives, such as fillings, are not ideal.
When your teeth need to be repaired with a crown, but you’d prefer a more inexpensive option, then we can offer you the option of a composite crown. Composite crowns generally cost a little over a third of the cost of conventional porcelain, zirconia or metal based crowns.
Composite resin materials are matched to the shade of your natural teeth, allowing them to blend in with your smile.
They do however wear down quicker and do not last as long as conventional crowns. Longevity of composite crowns appear to be around the time frame would be a period of 7-10 years mark, though with the advent modern generation resin materials, they appear to be lasting a lot longer.
Some of The Benefits of Dental Composite
- Softer than porcelain and less reactive than gold or other metals
- Bonding techniques are less sensitive than full porcelain bonding
- Free of metal
- Precise shading options and a natural look
- No silver metal margin that is visible on some types of cosmetic crowns
- Protects the remaining part of the tooth from breakage and temperature changes
- Good for use as long-term temporaries or as an interim option for patients with a high decay rate
- More inexpensive than crowns made from gold, porcelain, or zirconia
- Does not require a lot of removal of tooth structure.
- Gives a smile that looks natural and feels smooth
Bridges are structures which create a ‘bridge’ between the gaps which can occur with tooth loss.
They are commonly made from strong materials such as gold alloys, porcelain or zirconia. Bridges can be made to look as natural as your existing teeth.
What are the benefits of Bridges
There are a number of benefits to choosing Bridges if you are considering a solution for missing teeth:
- They give you a complete smile, which for many patients can improve their confidence
- Face shape is restored and maintained
- Speech and pronunciation can be improved
- They help spread the pressure when you bite, improving function
Gill Dental in Thorndon offers crowns and bridges as options to following a thorough examination of each patients individual needs. Call us today on (04) 472 0711 for a consultation.